Data Flow Task - Converting DT_NTEXT To DT_STR
l***@gmail.com
2007-07-13 01:31:52 UTC
Hi Guys,

I'm currently using SSIS to copy data from a source table, change some
of the datatypes and pump it into a destination table.

The problem I'm facing is with conversion of an NTEXT field to a
VARCHAR field in the destination.

What I'm doing right now is:

Step 1: Extract From Source (OLE DB Source). The data comes in as
NTEXT
Step 2: Data conversion from DT_NTEXT to DT_TEXT
Step 3: Data Conversion from DT_TEXT to DT_STR
Step 4: Pump into destination VARCHAR column (OLE DB Destinations)

The above works, but i dont think its the neatest way to do it.

I was wondering if anyone could help me combine step 2 and step 3 into
a single step.. or if there is a better way that I'm supposed to use
to convert ntext to varchar.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers, Lloyd
Allan Mitchell
2007-07-13 06:46:23 UTC
Hello ***@gmail.com,

The way you are going is the way to do it using the Derived Column Transform.
The page

ms-help://MS.SQLCC.v9/MS.SQLSVR.v9.en/extran9/html/d4e915cc-1c7b-4b2e-93b0-13a8b0cb9242.htm

Shows us that DT_NTEXT to DT_STR is an illegal cast so we have to go through
the step of DT_TEXT

So in a Derived Column transform I might do this for a column named "Val"
that is DT_NTEXT

(DT_STR,20,1252) (DT_TEXT, 1252) [Val]

--

Allan Mitchell