Is is possible to use SSIS to import into a linked server?
i***@yahoo.com
2010-02-02 00:03:28 UTC
We have an Oracle database linked into a SQL Server. Is it possible
to use SSIS to import a text file into a linked server? Why don't we
just connect and import directly into the Oracle database? Because I
can't get any connection to work within SSIS 2005.
Todd C
2010-02-02 13:50:01 UTC
I don't think you can use linked servers inside SSIS because when you specify
a server in a Destination adapter on a data flow, the list of tables does not
include the ability to browse a linked server.

When designing an SSIS package, right click in the Connection Manager try
and select "New OLE DB Connection". Click New. In the Provider list, scroll
about 2/3 way down the list and look for "Microsoft OLE DB Provider for
Oracle".

Does this Provider work for you?
--
Todd C
MCTS SQL Server 2005
.
Gerald Aichholzer
2010-02-02 14:30:03 UTC
Post by i***@yahoo.com
We have an Oracle database linked into a SQL Server. Is it possible
to use SSIS to import a text file into a linked server? Why don't we
just connect and import directly into the Oracle database? Because I
can't get any connection to work within SSIS 2005.
if you install the Oracle drivers a connection to the database
will work (assuming that connections's configuration is ok).
I have used it two or three times, but the Oracle-TSN was con-
figured by an Oracle expert.

hth,
Gerald