How to promote DTS package
Dorian
2010-03-23 00:43:01 UTC
How are DTS packages normally promoted from development to test and test to
production?
I need to update a DTS package, both the number of steps in the flow and the
Active-X script.
The version in development has a different number of steps to the production
one and also different global variables.
Do I somehow (how?) copy the one in production down to development and then
change it there or do I change the one in development and then somehow
describe the changes to be made to the one in production?
I dont know how to copy packages from one server to another or how to copy
individual flow steps from one server to another.
Needless to say I cannot touch production. I have to fill out endless forms
and get multiple approvals to do anything.
-- Dorian
eat for a lifetime".
Todd C
2010-03-23 12:38:01 UTC
Isn't there a way to save a DTS package to the file system, then up-load it
from the file system to another server?

Can't remember as it's been 5 years. If you have SQL Server 2005 or 2008,
the SSMS user interface has a way to 'Export'.

Are you even considering upgrading to a later version?
--
Todd C
MCTS SQL Server 2005
eat for a lifetime".
Dorian
2010-03-24 15:23:02 UTC
We have some old apps in SQL 2000 and some newer ones in SQL 2005. The old
ones we maintain as they are. Upgrading existing apps is not a current
priority.
Thanks for your suggestions.
-- Dorian
eat for a lifetime".